Monday, November 26, 2012

Nostalgia

I found this old draft tonight... total accident. Here it is.
~
I knew this time would come, but even as I made one of my final drives home today, it still seemed far away. We talked about it, my friends and I, as early as freshman year. "It's going to suck when we leave each other... good thing it's far off." But the time has finally arrived. One of us has taken the first step. She's achieved what I hope to in the next couple of months. She's moving to New York... she found a job that provides the perfect intersection of finance and fashion. Dream job. We had to celebrate.

We chose one of our favorite restaurants - the fairly tacky, fairly typical, very low-key Casa Mexicana. We've spent six years of weeknights, weekends, and Cinco de Mayos there. We know the waiters by name and even (attempt to) converse with them in Spanish because, for some reason, they think our Spanish is passable, and sorry, Sra. Morris... my Spanish is far less than passable. It all started freshman year when one of the servers approached our table, winked at me, and in a near-growl asked, "Te quieres, mi amorrrrr?" That was all it took. We were customers for life. Tonight it felt like time had never passed.

"Large cheese dip?"

"Si."

"Margarita... rocks... salt?"

*Smile and nod*
~

...That's where it stopped. For whatever reason, I stopped writing.

It made me smile this evening, the bittersweet nostalgia. The only reason I happened upon it is because I thought about reposting this one... written at exactly this time last year. As predicted, the answer to its final pondering is yes.

I also thought about sending this one to my best friend. It was written with her in mind, and she needs a little perspective right now. She needs a little laughter. She needs to know that nostalgia is wonderful, but only in small doses. She needs to know that what she's doing matters.

It's funny how life works - all of its lessons and circles, large and small. I feel blessed that at 24 I can at least appreciate some of them. A buried blog post, a full-circle moment, a realized dream.


No comments:

Post a Comment